Auto · Home · Life · Business · and more...   Go

Wildfire Damage

What to do

Report the loss: If you have been evacuated by a civil authority due to a wildfire event, many homeowners policies provide coverage for your additional living expenses, even if your home does not suffer direct damage.  Call your insurance company directly to report the loss. Be prepared to provide your policy number, the date of the incident, and as much detail about the loss as possible.

Keep your receipts:  If you incur expenses for lodging and/or meals before you are contacted by your adjuster, keep all of your receipts to submit for consideration.  Additional living expenses are those over and above your usual expenses that you would have incurred had the loss not occurred.

Mitigate damages: Take all necessary and reasonable steps to prevent further damage.

Engage a contractor: Select a contractor of your choice to prepare a scope of damage and complete a repair estimate.


Make any commitment to make payments without first talking with your adjuster.

What to expect

The adjuster assigned to your case will contact you to review the facts surrounding the loss and may, with your permission, record the conversation. Answer the adjuster’s questions to the best of your ability and recollection.

  • The carrier may send an appraiser to prepare a scope of damage and complete a repair estimate. You should be present for this inspection and ensure that the appraiser is aware of all areas of damage.
  • If you’ve not already done so, engage a contractor of your choice to prepare a scope of damage and complete a repair estimate. Provide your contractor with a copy of the appraisers’ estimate. Note that you have the right to have repairs completed by a contractor of your choice.
  • If your contractor will not complete repairs for the amount of the appraiser’s estimate, the contractor and appraiser should meet and resolve the differences.
  • If the contractor and appraiser are unable to reach agreement, contact PayneWest Insurance for further assistance.

If you have any questions or concerns about the handling or resolution of your claim, please contact us for assistance.

Text Us